The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 10/20/2009 04:34:00 am

There hasn't been a whole lot happening around here lately other than trying in a vein attempt organize my life in preparation for my departure from Korea this Sunday. As such, I do intend to do one final fair-well Korea entry before I leave. Knowing me however, there is a good chance that this will be it.

The Busan Fireworks Festival at Gwangali beach happened this past weekend. The fireworks were launched from the bridge as well as from barges and it seemed like everyone in Busan (or possibly Korea) turned out to see the show. Rightfully so as well, it was perhaps the most extravagant and awe-inspiring demonstration that I have ever been too. It lasted a full forty minutes and each explosion was choreographed perfectly to the music of John Lennon and Queen (to name a few). It was so incredible in fact that it's reputation had brought spectators such as Jon down from Seoul for the weekend. I am also thankful for that because I was hoping to get to say goodbye to him before I departed. I spent that night watching the fireworks from the comfort of a restaurant a friend had managed to reserve for a private party before ending up down the road at Thursday Party.

Sunday afternoon I had lunch with a few of my former students and co-teacher, Rachel. These five middle schoolers helped show me the degree to which I have impacted their lives. To say the least it was an incredibly touching gesture and it certainly will be something that I will never forget.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully I will get to another one before I leave the land of kim chi for good.

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

1 comment:

@rdjfraser said...

I want to pretend I'm sad that your year is over, but it would be dishonest. I'm looking forward to being able to see ya in December. Have a safe and amazing adventure, pick me up anything but diseases from strange foreign women. Blessings and love man!
Rob