The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 10/31/2008 11:44:00 pm

I am not sure how much any of you know about my little trip thus far so I think what I do is just post some general information to get everyone caught up to speed. In the future I will try and get a blog post written every Sunday night complete with photos that I will upload to a flickr website. I will let you know what all these are once I sort them out.

So anyways...

I am living in the village of Jin-gu within Busan City, South Korea. It is sort of like Dublin or London in that the larger city is predominantly made up of smaller sections. Anyways, Jin-gu is the commercial heart of the city so there are neon lights, big screen tvs and high rises on one side of me. On the other side I have a traditional fish and produce market, think Chinatown, San Fransisco. Busan itself is built between a mountain range and the ocean. So on one side of the city I have mountains which are great for hiking, mountain biking, sight seeing and chillin at a spa. On the other side we have the ocean and loads of beaches. I have yet to try out the beaches since it is November but from what I understand, during the summer months the place is packed, so I really dont know how much of it I will be seeing.

I don't start teaching until next monday so I have spent the bulk of my time getting my class ready and doing lesson plans. Oh and meeting the parents, which is always a fun time. My school though is two buildings with over 100 part and full time teachers. One building is old and the other is brand new but both are equally nice and clean. The teachers are great and are helping Danielle and I whenever they can. The kids have been getting a kick out of us since they have never seen a real live foreigner before. Its great but I am missing the blue collar work, this white collar stuff is stressful.

As for activities I have basically spent the majority of my time getting to know the city and trying new Korean foods, as you may notice on my news feed. Last weekend some of the gang (my friends adam and alex) headed to a neighbouring town to take in some local flavour. We enjoyed the 'celebration of changwon', changwon being the city. There we meet up with my friends Sam and Jess. We later went out for some Korean Vodka called Soju and than hit up the local foreigner bar, O'briens where I met a cool guy from Wales. The rest of that night is a little hazzy, I remember darts and pool... Anyways, the next day we came back to Busan after some McDonalds breakfast to cure the hangover and hit up a spa for some detoxification. All in all a good weekend. This weekend is Halloween and if all goes according to plan than us foreigners are going to be scaring some Koreans with our crazy traditions.

Anyways I hope that helps to answer some questions and let you know what I am up to!

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

No comments: