The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 11/11/2008 06:14:00 am

As many of you may know November 11 is an important day in Canada. It is a day to reflect, it is a day to celebrate and it is a day to mourn and above all it is a day for remembrance. Not here in Korea though. In Korea, November 11th is a special holiday which has been aptly named Pepero Day after its patron saint, Pepero bread treats. All day I have had students flooding my desk with treats and gifts to show their appreciation (or to suck up). In some sense this holiday is slightly reminiscent of Valentine's Day. People buy each other elaborate gifts and exchange them with those whom they care for or respect. While the corporate motivation behind such a holiday is undoubtedly to generate revenue for Lotte, the mother company of Pepero sticks and half the other industries in Korea, I fail to see why people seem to buy into these types holidays. To top it all off, in February we have Valentine's Day, and in March(ish) we have White Day, which is another sort of Valentine's day in which women are supposed to dote on their man. This is just like that Episode of the Simpson's were Love day is created to generate revenue in a season that lacks corporate holidays. Anyways, I appreciate all the gifts I have received from students but I have a feeling that I will be eating nothing but chocolate coated bread sticks for the next year.

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

No comments: