The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 8/09/2009 10:22:00 pm

I know I am almost a week late on this update but my life has been a little crazy lately with intensives at school and my various other social commitments. Anyways, I am sorry it took me so long to get this done.

Two weeks ago today my ah-pa (father) arrived in Busan, the day after a 3 day music festival in which I slept maybe a total of 8 hours the entire weekend. As you can imagine I was completely exhausted but at the same time very excited. This anxiety quickly faded when the airport staff informed me that his luggage had been lost! What's worse is that it contained all my gifts- everything from KD and jam to cereal and souvienurs for my students. Disgruntled but happy to see each other we went and got some late dinner. Tuesdayto Thursday I unfortunately had to work but he managed to entertain himself during the day while I was away. Tuesday night we caught up with a friend of mine for a quick 9 on the virtual links. Before we could even tee off my dad took a bad swing and broke the censor, which I found out today costs 100,000 won ($88) to fix. The good news is that it will be a memory he won't soon be forgetting. Wednesday night we headed out to the University bars to watch Alex and his band play their first live show. I got my dad pretty drunk unintentionally but he enjoy it and we all rocked out sufficiently to Alex and the Bad Headcolds. Thursday night we had dinner with my co-workers and my K-Friend wanted to take us for Soju, which of course I indulged and managed to get my dad slightly drunk once again. Friday I had the day off work so we took the opportunity to visit Nampo-dong (the market district) and pick up some cheap clothes, shoes, etc. We also visited the famous Jigalchi fish market and Busan Tower to take in a view of the harbour. That night he went home to bed but I caught up with Alex and John Bunford (know him? he's from Barrie) and his wife and we had another wild night on the town. Awesome to the end. The next day I took my dad to the beach to show him the craziness of Haeundae Beach during the busiest weekend of the summer, than we went off to Yongunsa, the only Buddhist temple in all of Asia built on the sea. After wards we went to Alex's place and than got some dinner with those boys again. Then in an attempt to see a movie we went to Shinsegae, the largest department store in the world, but were denied when there were no good English movies showing and no translations of Haeundae, the epic tale of a tsunami that destorys Busan. Exhausted from the day, my dad elected to head home and I stayed out with the rest of the team and we went to the amusement park/carnival. at Gwanali beach (see an earlier post about that crazy place). The Sunday we rose early and got ready for a killer hike. And killer it was. We went to a cultural village and checked out some temples and tombs and than hiked up a mountain. At the top we got some lunch and enjoyed the view sitting on a rock that jut 30 feet out the side of this mountain, it really felt like we were the only people around. We continued on through the mountains and happened upon the remains of an ancient fortress and checked out some watch towers and way-gates. It was really cool. That night we both went home and crashed after getting dinner, we wereabsolutely exhausted. Monday, his final day, it rained and we opted to avoid the rain andto just stay in and watch movies and maybe do a bit of shopping. That night however he took me to the Outback for dinner! It had been such a long time since I had steak, it was absolutely amazing. Tuesday morning we said our goodbyes, I put him in a taxi and I went home to sleep for a bit before getting restless and taking the bike out of storage and climbing another mountain.

I sincerely hope that wasn't too brief of a recap but a lot of stuff can happen in a week as action packed as ours so I feel it might be best to just stick to the big stuff!

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

2 comments:

rob. fraser said...

Dude. I LOVE THE NEW LAYOUT. I've been reading this via google reader, and just popped on today. WOW. This is really nice, love what you have done with it. Keep being awesome.

Now for why I originally came on here. Alex has a band?!?!? Crazy. Also, glad you are having fun!

mmurphy said...

Thanks for the kind words Rob, I appreciate it.

And ya, Alex has a band and in my personal opinion, they're awesome!