The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 4/27/2009 08:55:00 am

This past weekend Alex and I ventured to neighbouring Ulsan with Rebecca and Kelsey. We took the train from the Haeundae station around 2 pm on Saturday and arrived 55 minutes later. The total cost of the fare was a lean 3,500 won (less than $3 CAD). Once there we caught up with some other travelers and went to a popular park where we were able to rent tandem bicycles which we proceeded to race around much to the chagrin of the locals. I suppose the paved roads, beautiful gardens and hilarious bicycles are reserved for couples that are serious about sharing their first tandem bicycle ride. Whatever. Anyways we had a great time cycling around and enjoying the nature-ish scenery. On our way out of the park we passed by a group of Koreans playing basketball. Having not played in 6 months Alex and I challenged them to a match and we played some 4-on-4 with the skilled assistance of a few other foreigners. Sufficient to say that we demolished the poor guys despite all their fancy moves and Harlem globetrotter type moves.

Afterward we found our way to some coffee and snacks before hitting the local soju bar. We had some dinner and soju concoctions for a while before moving on to a pub hosting a celebrate New Zealand party. I am not entirely sure what the occasion was but upon checking wikipedia I have discovered that April 25th was the New Zealand equivalent of Remembrance Day. It seems that a party would only be fitting. After the pub the night progressed as usual, shenanigans and karaoke. The next morning I awoke in a horribly uncomfortable sweat because the hotel we were staying at turned our heat on for some reason. It was so hot that the green tea Alex had in his thermos was heated and piping hot, ready to serve. On our way out I tried to argue with the man at the desk but he had the good fortune of not being able to speak English and I not being able to speak Korean. In the end I decided that it wasn't worth the 15,000 won I paid for the night and just left it at that. We caught up with the rest of the Busan crowd at Dunkin Donuts and had some breakfast before heading off to catch our train home. When we arrived at the train station we discovered that we would have to wait an hour before the next train. Taking advantage of the time we went outside and amused some Koreans with Kelsey and Rebecca's hilarious Korean influenced exercises. We also played a few rounds of tall guy rodeo before Alex hurt his back. As a substitute I decided to climb a wall that was far too high and far too narrow for my own good. Once up there I immediately regretted my decision but I had to continue onward along it to the garden on the other side. By the time I got down it was time to catch the train and head back to Busan. It was another amazing weekend adventure that cost me little aside from laughter and good times. It was some good craic, that's for sure.

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

No comments: