The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 9/08/2009 04:42:00 am

Not a whole lot new happening on my end, just trying to make it through the weeks to the eventual end of my contract 6 and a bit weeks from now. I did however manage to get my hands on a couple of tickets for me and the guys to head down to Hong Kong to pay our dear friend Danni a visit next month. If you are unfamiliar with Danni, she is my wicked Irish friend that I met at our hostel in Boracay. Anyways, I am really looking forward to this upcoming adventure I feel like it's going to be absolutely deadly.

Other than planning for the end of my contract and trying to get my affairs in order for my eventual return home I have been trying to get as much out of my time here as possible. For example, this past weekend I spent the majority of my time out at Haeundae beach taking in the sun and enjoying the extreme lack of Koreans and parasols. In addition, there was a surf competition there this weekend so it was kinda cool to go check out the free show and get a good amount of swag.

After finishing work on Friday I caught up with Alex and Jill for some chicken galbi in Seomyeon. The original plan was to head to the theater and catch a show but that changed as Jill was in the mood for some drinks. We ended up at a beer tent behind Lotte chatting with the bar tender. It seemed to him that Jill looks like Rachel Weisz, the girl from the Mummy. Frankly I don't see it, but hey, maybe that's just me. After the tent we headed off to Guri bar, had some social drinks, played some Beruit and made some new friends.

I spent most of Saturday at the beach but did end up back in Jangsan with Alex for dinner. We caught up with Kelsey afterward and went to a DVD Bong to watch The Benchwarmers. My advice to you, don't watch it. Later that night I went up to PNU with Adam, Juhee and Conrad for a fundraiser to save the Korean Moon Bear. Essentially, Moon Bears are a protected species under Korean law but the government has chosen to turn a blind eye. As such the bears are inhumanely farmed for their brine and organs. Check out moonbears.org for more information. The fundraiser was held at Basement which of course, meant that it would be a great night. There was a band playing, drink specials for those willing to donate to the cause, free t-shirts, and an awesome dance party. I am not an expert by any means but I feel like the event was a success. Everyone there seemed to be in the spirit and having a great time. As for Sunday, I made my way back to the beach again. I played some soccer and Frisbee, swam in the sea and chilled in the surf. That night I ended up playing nine holes with the boys (and Jill) and getting some fantastically cheap BBQ dinner. All together, the weekend was a bit hard on my liver, but fantastic none the less.

I have a holiday coming up this Friday so I think I might take the bike out on the hills and head down to Nampo to finally pick up my camera that has been in for service for the last month.

Slainte

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

No comments: