The Shibby

I have been hanging out in Busan, South Korea for the better part of a year. In that time I have experienced a whole lot of craziness...

Some Words of Wisdom

I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me. The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me. I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose. I've been battered, but I'll never bruise, it's not so bad. And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've still got to say, it's all right.

-Great Big Sea

Posted By mmurphy on/at 9/14/2009 04:47:00 am

As it turns out I had to arbitrarily take a vacation day last week, which was nice and provided me with some excess time to run around and take care of some errands. Other than traversing Busan I ended up writing an article for Groove and spending some time at the sauna with Alex. That night I went out with my K-friends to celebrate Katie's birthday and Rachel's final day at Dongeun. We went to an awesome sam-gipsol joint in Anthony's old neighbourhood before heading to a great patio for some beers closer to my home.


Saturday morning I rolled out of bed and found my way to the Seomyeon markets where I meet Juhee. She helped me pick out a new pair of pants in an effort to add some diversity to my rapidly deminishing wardrobe. Later that afternoon I caught up with Alex and Adam and we headed off to the ole ball game to watch the Lotte Giants take on the Samsung Lions. The game was a fairly important since both teams are fighting for a position in the post-season. Truthfully I couldn't have asked for a better ball game either. Our seats were right on the first-base foul line along with all the other foreigners (including Jill), we were right next to the stage where the mascots hung out and once again we had our own beer and doner agumas. Midway through the fifth inning I was chosen by a fellow foreigner to lead the crowd in cheers and my first act of duty was to start up a wave, a classic baseball maneuver. It took four or five tries to get things moving beyond our section but once the Koreans around us were involved I had the entire stadium participating. Before long I had the actual dancing man mascot in his white suit and his entire security detail telling me to sit down because my wave had run through half the inning and it seemed that my wave was now inadvertently promoting the opposite team. Literally as soon as I sat down, I looked over to the stage to see the dancing man trying to start his own wave. I couldn't believe that the guy was actually trying to steal my thunder. Funny thing is that my wave lasted half an inning, his couldn't even get half way around the stadium. It really is too bad that the guy was a complete tool though, Jill sorta had a thing for him and his white suit. Despite this, some others in the crowd recognized our initative and opted to buy us bags of beer as a means of congratulating us. The game ended with Lotte absolutely destroying Samsung, 9-1. After the game we all headed back to Seomyeon for some so-gogi, deliciousness and a nore-bong. In the spirit of the occasion Jill, Alex and I stuck around a little while longer after everyone went home and headed to the batting cages to hit some dingers. Afterward we sought out some toasta but were out of luck and settled for McDonald's, unfortunate really.

Sunday I spent the day at Haeundae beach with Alex, Kelsey, James and some of the other local folks. We just took in the sun, played some sports, had a swim or two and feasted on some fantastic sandwiches. Later, Alex and I headed back to the sauna to catch the sunset from the outdoor hot tubs on the roof. The sauna is called Vespa and is on da-mal-gee hill, definitely worth the 5000 won.

An absolutely chill, yet incredibly awesome weekend none the less.

Slainte

P.S. I found a black zipper hoodie in the nore-bong, if anyone is missing it than please let me know!

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

No comments: